by Jean Rhodes
I maintain an email file of the student excuses I’ve received in my 20 years as a professor at UMass Boston. Some are predictable for college students, “I spilled coke on my computer and it turned off … Read the rest
by Jean Rhodes
According to a recent Gallup poll successful college students have one important thing in common–they all had one or more teachers who were mentors who took an interest … Read the rest
Talking about class differences can help close the collegiate achievement gap between first- and continuing-generation students, according to Stanford research.
Research has shown that first-generation college students – those who do not have a parent … Read the rest
As policymakers and educators debate how to help high-schoolers from all backgrounds get to and through college, young people’s ideas about the support they need to succeed are sometimes left out of the discussion. … Read the rest
In the first of two articles addressing the transition of first-generation college students from high school graduation to higher education, New York Times writer Tina Rosenberg highlights some of the issues facing low-income … Read the rest
Lenz, S. (2014). Mediating effects of relationships with mentors on college adjustment. Journal of College Counseling.
Summarized by Jessica Cunningham, B.A., Research Associate, Center for Evidence-Based Mentoring
It is a known, albeit unfortunate, fact that a percentage of … Read the rest
Thursday, January 7, 2016
My mother cried when I told her I was changing my major from engineering to chemistry. Her fear was that I would never earn a living as a chemist.
When … Read the rest
by Brandon Busteed
- Feeling supported in college helps grads in their careers
- Technology is significant, but human fundamentals matter too
- Effective mentoring is critical to a graduate’s success
Students Need Support — and Experiential and Deep Learning
Gallup … Read the rest
Topics of Interest
- MENTOR: The National Mentoring PartnershipNovember 12, 2014 - MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership (MENTOR) is the unifying champion for expanding quality youth mentoring relationships in the United States. For nearly 25 years, MENTOR has served the mentoring field by providing a public voice, developing and delivering resources to mentoring programs nationwide and promoting quality for mentoring through standards, cutting-edge research and state of the art tools.
- Academic Web PagesAugust 6, 2012 - Academic Web Pages is the leading provider of customized websites for researchers, centers, nonprofits, and universities. AWP designed and has contributed generously to the creation of the Chronicle of Evidence-Based Mentoring.