MENTOR is currently seeking an experienced leader to serve as the Senior Director of Development. He/she will lead all aspects of development during an exciting phase of organizational growth. Reporting to and working closely with the CEO and other members of the senior leadership team, the Senior Director of Development will build from a strong base of philanthropic support, including excellent partnerships with corporations (including Bank of America, AT&&T, and Ernst and Young), foundations and government agencies. The Senior Director of Development will design a diversified fundraising strategy in partnership with the CEO and will bring particular expertise in building individual and major donor programs. The Senior Director of Development will lead a small, high-performing team of development professionals and will benefit from the talents of Board Members and CEO that are experienced and passionate fundraisers. He/she will serve as an external face of the organization, and will be energized by the opportunity to represent the mentoring movement and the significant impact that comes from a caring adult in the life of a young person. This is a fantastic opportunity for a driven, innovative, and entrepreneurial fundraiser who’s ready to lead development strategy and execution in a national organization while collaborating and growing with an exceptional leadership team and building on a strong foundation of philanthropic support.
Fundraising Strategy and Relationship Management
- Create and implement a plan for exceptional donor stewardship at every giving level, including thoughtful touch-points and distinct cultivation strategies that increase engagement of prospects at every level
- Collaborate with a wide variety of internal stakeholders in developing donor strategies, including:
- Working closely with the CEO to develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan and leverage his investment in high-profile national partnerships
- Partnering with Senior Director of External Affairs on cultivating corporate and philanthropic support for thought leadership initiatives and national cause-giving campaign for mentoring.
- Advising the Board of Directors and leading their efforts to make connections from the organization and draw resources from their networks
- Partnering with the leadership at MENTOR’s market-level affiliate Mentoring Partnerships to identify collaborative fundraising opportunities, share best practices and align strategies
- Work closely with the Vice President & Chief Mission Officer and senior leadership team to ensure that there is an integrated and cross-functional approach to development; continue to build a culture of philanthropy and ensure each team member feels empowered to participate meaningfully in building external relationships for MENTOR
- Oversee development team and departmental operations; ensure development team members are able to work efficiently, make data-informed decisions and have access to leading edge technology to support departmental goals
- Lead the strategy, partnerships and sponsorships for our signature annual events, including National Mentoring Summit
- Partner with Senior Director of External Affairs to ensure that external and/or donor-facing communications (marketing materials, proposals, reports, etc.) are high-quality and present compelling messages, research and data on MENTOR and the mentoring movement
General Management and Leadership
- Serve on the senior leadership team and play a key role in organizational decision-making and strategy
- Represent MENTOR and serve as an expert perspective at strategic external events, meetings, conferences and events
- Supervise, manage and provide leadership to a team whose responsibilities span fundraising, relevant partnerships, donor communications, grants management and development operations
- Work closely with the CEO and CFAO to integrate fundraising and financial management efforts to ensure optimum management of organizational resources
- Experience and demonstrated success leading and growing the development function in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial nonprofit organization
- Exceptional relationship building skill. Success creating, stewarding and expanding relationships with individual donors, corporations and foundations
- Strong interest in major gift fundraising and a passion for helping individuals identify their philanthropic priorities and connect with opportunities to help young people
- Extremely collaborative and flexible approach, with an ability to both lead and support other stakeholders efforts within a cohesive development plan
- Strategic and analytical approach to fundraising, with experience improving development operations and use of technology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to target a message to a variety of diverse stakeholders. Strong customer-service orientation.
- Strong understanding of how marketing and development strategies work hand in hand to increase visibility and opportunity for organizations
- Passion for the field of the mentoring and the impact mentoring has on the lives of young people. Interest in how national movements are built, led and grown
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Kevin Flynn athttp://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1600000dfDED&tSource= Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
MENTOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Diversity of opinions, experiences, and backgrounds is a key asset.
About Commongood Careers
MENTOR has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Senior Director of Development. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our organization’s missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.